Tackling a single home improvement project can be pretty overwhelming. Remodeling your entire home takes stress to a completely new level. With so many ideas and decisions circling your mind, getting started can be quite the challenge. How do you know where to begin?
You can create your dream house by first getting your priorities straight. From paint colors to furniture and the bathroom to the bedroom, here are a few essential tips to help you prioritize your home remodel.
Before you even think of starting a remodeling project, decluttering is obligatory. Purging items in your home that you don’t use or need will significantly expedite the remodeling process. Plus, it will give you a clearer outlook on what you’re working with.
Tip: If you haven’t used something in the last 2 years, then it is time to get rid of it.
One you’ve removed the clutter from your home, you can personally inspect it and decide what exactly needs to be done. Be very specific in your analysis and write down everything you’d like to change and improve. Are there specific repairs that need to be made? Are there cosmetic issues you’d like to fix? Can you do it yourself or will you need to hire someone? Before you can make a plan, you must ask yourself all the tough questions.
Tip: While assessing your home’s current situation, assess your personal situation as well. If you’re overwhelmed or worn out, acknowledge that and give yourself a break.
Determining your budget for home remodels can be a bit disheartening, but it can also help sort out your priorities. Be realistic about what you can afford, and then go through your assessment to see which projects fit into your budget.
Tip: Set up a savings account for remodeling and create a timeline in conjunction with your savings. This will make you feel proud of your accomplishments, rather than overwhelmed with monthly payments. Plus, it can help build excitement and allow you to entertain new and better ideas.
Now that you know what needs to be done and how much you can spend, it’s time to decide how you’ll do it. Use this list as a guide, but ultimately, do what feels right for your situation.
- Begin with the least expensive home repairs, then with your needs.
- Tackle any projects that concern your family’s safety and wellbeing (childproofing, broken railings, wobbly floor boards, etc.).
- Make repairs to anything that threatens permanent damage to your home (clogged gutters, leaky roofs, etc.).
- Make upgrades to your home that will improve efficiency and save you money, such as replacing windows or adding a programmable thermostat.
- Tackle low-cost home improvements that offer high value, such as painting or changing out fixtures in the kitchen.
- Finally, tackle those larger scale remodeling projects that include complete structural or aesthetic changes (think flooring, furniture, fixtures, etc.).
Tip: Consider remodeling your bedroom or other personal space first. Why? Because if your personal space feels like a sanctuary, you’ll feel more relaxed and ready to take on the rest of your home.
Home improvements are a ton of work, but if you prioritize your home remodel in advance you can make the most of a demanding process. If you need expert advice or are ready to get started, contact the professionals at Sandy Spring Builders today.